Saturday, June 2, 2012

Nappy Review - B Cheeks One Size Nappies

Here's a review of Bum Cheeks I did back in November for anyone who hasn't tried them out before :)


Tonight I'm going to be talking about B cheeks - which I also love - if you're looking for bad reviews then this isn't the blog to go to BUT my reviews are honest ones so don't think they are just crap, I just don't review products I'm unimpressed by :)

I was lucky to discover B Cheeks when Daily Baby Buys had the PUL ones for half price - I got the VHC (cos I love the VHC) and as soon as I got it I wished I'd gotten the dotty one too cos its such a great user friendly nappy. 

Here's what the website says:

"New BumCheeks One Size Embroidered Nappies will fit your baby from birth right through to Toilet training!
Made from beautiful printed PUL, exclusive to Bumcheeks these nappies have a layer of waterproof PUL inside and a soft suede cloth lining. The pocket has two hidden layers of  fast drying micrfibre and a fold over 2 layer Bamboo Insert. 1 row of 10 snaps and 2 Rise settings mean that they have a large variation in size, 3 snaps on the arms means no wing droop. Soft elastic legs do not leave marks on even the chunkiest thighs. 4-16"

So now for my say: lets start with the outside -


I am now the proud owner of the PUL very hungry caterpillar, the orange minky embroidered VHC and the pink minky embroidered VHC. The embroidered nappies have been discontinued so I won't bother discussing the embroidery (except to say that the VHC is adorabley bright - but you can see that in the pics below!) As mentioned on the website - they have 3 snaps on the arms, this was the first feature I noticed and it made me so happy - wing droopage drives me crazy! The nappy has 3 rise settings and a single row of snaps around the tummy (and as discussed - 3 snaps per arm!). Its elasticated at the back and legs and is front snapping. The back elastic pulls it in really nice and tightly over the butt and its not a very bulky nappy.

Fabrics - the minky colours are so bright! when I opened my package of embroidered VHC I was blown away by the colours and the first thing I told my husband was that they were the brightest coloured nappies I'd seen. He later spotted them hanging on the line and even he commented on how bright they were. The embroidered ones I have, have a thin band of cotton fabric (in this case the VHC spot fabric) across the back of the nappy and spreading down each arm (see below). This is really well stitched and placed to sit nicely both when the nappy is stretched to fit the biggest bubs and cinched in to fit the tiny ones too - and adds a lovely contrast to the look of the nappy.

The PUL is sturdy and soft to touch without feeling too plasticy like some PULs - the print is good too.



And now for the inside:
The inside layer is suede cloth. This nappy has a hidden stitched in booster - so its like an AIO with a pocket to add extra boosting power! The hidden microfibre layers are soft and fluffy and if you had to you could use it briefly without the bamboo inserts cos they would soak up a fair bit of wee. 
The pocket is a good stitched down envelope pocket which has enough cross over to keep things concealed and is low enough that you don't have to worry about Daddy or Nanny putting the nappy on with the pocket flaps hanging out over the back! 
The insert is a long fold over bamboo insert which snaps together to make it easier to insert and leaves you with 4 layers of bamboo (plus the 2 layers of microfibre - its a thirsty nappy!) 
Having the fold over insert makes it faster to dry but the nappy shell with the hidden layers of absorbency is a little slower to dry than pocket nappies that don't have this - but faster to dry than your average AIO. If I put them on my drying rack indoors I have to turn them inside outwards and then flip them over a few hours later, to let everything dry - on the line with a bit of a breeze they usually dry fine throughout the day.

The fit:

(Photograph of my beautiful girl by Willowtree moments) Although these nappies don't have gussets or thigh snaps they fit snuggly around Pie's thighs - and they fit well when her thighs were much skinnier too. They sit a little higher than some nappies (Pipers on the shortest rise setting and is 9mo, 8.15kg and 70cm tall) and they are so thirsty that they can go quite a while without changing - they are a fave for shopping days as they usually see us through the whole trip! You can also buy trifold boosters to use your BCheeks nappies for night nappies (or for really heavy wetters). Plus with the pocket style you add as many inserts as you need to.

Styles - B Cheeks do plain minky colours, denim with cotton printed bands and pul nappies. I haven't tried the plain minky or the denim but from their description I think they are made to the same pattern as the PUL and embroidereds. They also make a newborn cover but I've only seen this on their site. Their current christmas nappies are apliqued minky so I'm crossing my fingers that they might replace the embroidered with appliqued but only time will tell. (Uodate - they have some gorgeous ocean apliques out at the moment, the shark one is adorable!)

You can check them out on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-Cheeks-Modern-Cloth-Nappies/208091333759

And their website:

http://www.bcheeks.com.au/

And here is a list of Aussie stockists too:
http://www.bcheeks.com.au/pages/Australia.html

Jodi xo

1 comment:

  1. Hello, have you tried the ocean applique Bum Cheeks? Just wondered what you might have thought thought about them vs the others bum Cheeks styles you have tried. I have heard they are of a lesser quality (for whatever reason) and wondered if you found this to be true?

    ReplyDelete